I've started knitting. Actually, I've knit for many, many years, but always flat knitting - scarves and blankets, always something with right angles. And also, always in Garter stitch, which is straight knitting back and forth. Then, a couple of months ago I bought a book at Target for a dollar, "Knitting for Dummies" and learned the purl stitch. Suddenly, new vistas of knitting possibilities opened up before me. I knit a few blankets using both the knit and purl stitches, but began wondering about how to knit three dimensional things like hats, socks and (scary,scary) sweaters.
I hit the web looking for info on what my next step should be. I came across some knitting podcasts, it sounds odd but I thought maybe I could learn the lingo. After listening to a few of them I found the "Knit Picks" podcast by Kelley Petkun to be informative and easy to follow. She recommended a book called, "The Sweater Workshop" by Jacqueline Fee. It sounded like a good starting place for me because it has a project called the Sweater Sampler which incorporates many stitches and techniques found in making a sweater in the round and is supposed to help you understand why some things are done and make it possible for you to design your own sweater. I love that. I have been working on it since March 30th and last night I knit a little tab that sticks out from the work; my first piece of knitting with something sticking out! I also made a buttonhole. Cool!
It is definitely stretching my brain to think in different ways, which I love. It is slow going though. My goal is to make some presents for Christmas, seven months from now, hats or socks, we'll see how it goes, but I'm excited.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I like your hats. Duffy never could convince me to be KatHooCal.
Grandma Kate
Post a Comment